Friday, August 15, 2008

Camp is F-I-N-A-L-L-Y OVER!!!!!

The ten week camp that I have now done for the past two years is finally over for the season. The camp does golf (kyle or staff), arts & crafts (me), tennis and swimming. It is stretched over four hours 9 am - 1 pm, 4 days a week, 10 weeks this year. I do two classes of arts & crafts for an hour each group. The first group is for the older kids 7-9 years and the second group is for younger ones 3-6 yrs. I have a helper, but it is never enough. At the height of camp I had 30, 3-6 yr olds for one week....I about died! And it is times like those that I just hate camp. On the low end we had 6 kids combined for one week and these are the times I love camp. The amount of hours I put into the camp developing projects, shopping for supplies, testing out projects, transporting, prepping, cleaning and actually doing the 2 hour session of the camp, just does not pay for the lost time with my kids, husband, house, and time for myself. I've got to get better at deligation for next year. Speaking of which, I should have 2 additional helpers, and an omission of the 3 and 4 year olds, they just can't do it in a group setting. In the beginning of the year I am always very excited and overly hopeful! Some new things we did this year that were fun was basket weaving, and knotting blankets which was very hard for my older group (little kids did not do). My flop this year, there is always one, was my lacing (sewing) project for the little ones with plastic needles. Wow, can you say overwhelmed!?! I will never do that one again. My favorite projects were the molding clay, perler beads, stringing necklaces with pasta or beads, and of course all the flour and water projects with newspaper and balloons. I am not sad to see it end as I am burned out for the summer. However, I love crafting and could do it myself all day. There is just something so soothing about zoning out and just working with my hands. I am now going on a small vacation with my parents in their new rv in wisconsin dells starting Sunday. Time for refueling, spending time with the kiddos and doing summer things that I don't get to do all year! I am really looking forward to this break and pray that the weather would be good and Addison would sleep. If you have craft ideas, I am always looking for new things! Please post!!!!

2 comments:

Jami said...

wow, get some rest my friend!! you deserve it! :)

sorry but I don't have good craft ideas...not the crafty sort..no I'm not! :)

Anonymous said...

Hurray!!!! So glad it's over for another year. Enjoy your time with the girls, Mom, and Dad. I try to keep my eyes open for ideas for you. I know how much time and effort you put into this each year. Kyle has a GOOD WOMAN by his side and is very blessed! (as are we to have you for our daughter-in-law!). Wish I could help with the projects...I love crafting too. Enjoy some much deserved time off. Love you, Cindy