Thursday, April 05, 2007

Training for a 5k Race

Okay, so it is really only a 3.2 mile race, but I think 5K sounds more intriguing! Anyway, my sister asked me to run a 4 mile race with her this summer at Steam Boat Days in Peoria Which unfortunately, I can't do, but there are many other 5K races throughout the summer. After thinking it over some, I realized: #1 how much I love jogging, and #2 how much I desperately need to get back into a regimented workout schedule again after being unmotivated and lazy for the past 3 months.

Since my thyroid issues this past summer and into fall, I have struggled with energy and maintaining my workout schedule while sleeping 20 hours a day, during that period of time in my life. However, since then I never have any energy and even though I have pushed myself through my workouts this past fall and winter, it usually leaves me in almost a comatose state - I just can't function - litterally. It had gotten so bad, that I had no desire to workout at all. So, I had my thyroid retested recently and it is really good, hedging towards the hyper side - which is fine by me! But still have no energy. I have found life to be very difficult when you lack energy. It affects everything, you mood, your mind, your physical state, your relationships, and so much more.

Moving on, the program I am following is a modified version of "The Couch to 5K Running Program." Here is the link http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Starting at week 3 - 20 minutes of alternation between 90 second run/90 second walk to 1/4 mile run/90 second walk. Instead of 20 minutes I have stretched it to 40 minutes. With a 5 minute warm-up and 5 minute cool-down, totaling 50 minutes. This week I am doing 4 intervals of 90 sec run/90 sec walk, to two intervals of 1/4 mile run/90 sec walk, and then back to 4 intervals of 90 sec run/90 sec walk. Interestingly it is just difficult enough for me right now to keep me challenged - this coming from when I usued to be able to run 3 miles last summer no problem (before my thyroid issues). Getting back in shape is not fun. I will keep you posted as to my progress.

One thing I love about challenging your body with exercise is how much it requires you to rely on Christ, and to reflect on how much he suffered for us to ultimately pay that finally sacrifice for our sins. It doesn't necessarily make it easier, but it puts things in a whole new perspective. And when I am working out, challenging my body, that is when I feel closest to Christ.

0 comments: