Friday, December 08, 2006

YAM - Young Adult Ministry

Well, I finally made it! I have been desiring to go to YAM from about May of this year, but between settling into a new place, starting a new job, getting plugged into a small group, suffering through thyroid symptoms and then finally our small group switching nights, the time to check it out never presented itself until this week. My small group leader called and told me that we were not meeting this Thursday, which happened to be a YAM night. YAM meets the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 7 - 10pm. So, I once again found myself in the undesirable position of sticking myself out there and going to something where I virtually knew no one. As excited as I was and have been in anticipation to go now for 7 months, I have to say, I was slightly let down. In my expectations, I thought that there would be people my age, which there were, but also in the same area of life in which I was, but there was not. I quickly came to realize that most of the yammers there were single. There were however, a few whom were married - but I am not sure there were any who had children. Of, course, I can't say for sure, because there are some 200 young adults who attend on any given Thursday and I couldn't have possibly met them all. But the people whom I spoke with who have been in YAM for a while know. I am certainly not saying that there is anything wrong with being single or married without children - I just know in my experiences that people who are not at the same point in your life as you are, have more difficulty relating to your life. Certainly friendships can be born, my best friend is single. I guess my biggest fear is that people will leave me out because I am at a different point in life than they are. I fear being written off and missing out on developing new christian friends. Sure, I would ideally like to meet some couples and make friendships that way but that isn't always how God operates. I just find that being out of school and having moved 3 times makes it more difficult to connect with people. All I desire is to have some friends my age to worship God and do life together with.

Anyway, the whole production itself was impressive! The pastor of young adults was great to listen too - he had a powerful message! After worship and the message, all the yammers go to Cornerstone Cafe in the church to enjoy some fellowship time with food and beverages. I was so surprized that the church made the food for us and it was free!!! I get so excited about little things in life that send such powerful messages - this one love. It was great and so awesome that a church can put on something so wonderful! As, I am learning more about the church I am so happy to call this place home!

0 comments: