Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Drawing the Line

Who said "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity?" Well, don't we all do that from time to time? And sometimes do you just feel lost for ideas as to what you should do differently?

Tonight, we were able to hopefully leave a lasting impression on correcting Morgan's behavior and more importantly what undesirable behavior would cost her. We have been going to "The Little Gym" now for about 6 weeks maybe? Our first "trial" was so much fun and she loved it so much that I went ahead and signed her up for the next session which will be over sometime in June. Since that initial visit, we have been experiences the law of dimenishing returns.... Each time she enjoyed less and less, to the point where the last few times, she has been down right nasty. It is very frustrating to me because, we spent good hard earned money for her to be able to have something she might enjoy and an outlet to release a little energy during the latter part of the winter and early spring season. The idea of not going or leaving kills me because I envision a toliet with dollar bills going down as the handle is flushed.

I realized though the value of a lesson learned is like that toliet regergitating with dollar bills flying out of it.... Okay, so you get the idea that the return is much higher than the cost!!! So each time she has been nasty and mean to me, I have tried reasoning with her, letting her sit out for awhile until she got herself undercontrol and I gotta tell ya, it is exhausting!!! This is supposed to be enjoyable for her and I, but it is not anymore. It is a battle of her will.

Tonight I had had it. I was done. I told her we were leaving and I took her out into the waiting area while I put my shoes on, grabbed her shoes and jacket and we left - her kicking and screaming, barefoot and all. Don't worry - it was 67 out tonight so she was just fine with no shoes and a jacket for our short walk to the car! She screamed all the way home and I think the message was quite clear.

When we got home I took her upstairs, sat her on my bathroom counter and explained to her why we left. And then I made her tell me why we left. I also explained that we would not go back if she was going to be nasty and mean to mommy. I told her that she was going to sit in her room until she could come downstairs and say she was sorry. Which she did immediatly and of course I asked her why - and she could even tell me!!! Oh, my - I think she understood!!! I just thank God for finally getting me to just do it and I pray that this will have a return on my investment.

3 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

Good for you Taylor. It is hard to do that, especially when you invested money to be there, but hopefully Morgan learned a lesson. Let me know how the next trip to Little Gym (is that what it's called?) goes?

kkoois said...

way to taylor! and, way to go, morgan! it's amazing how much they know and can comprehend even at this young age. you can't let them get away with that kind of stuff...give 'em inch and they will walk all over you! :)

Taylor said...

Isn't that the truth Kim! Thanks for your comments girls!!!